Eric DesRoberts continues his monthly series of facts and tidbits he’s uncovered during his research to better understand products and packaging. You can also check out his past Fun Facts here.
1. This year is the 40th anniversary of the United Nations Environment Programme’s World Environment Day. Celebrated every June 5th, this year’s theme is “Green Economy: Does it include YOU?”
2. The US consumed 9.1 billion gallons of bottled water in 2011. This equates to roughly $11 billion in producer revenues.
3. In the last 20 years, the amount of US households with air conditioners has increased from 68% to 87%. It is estimated that $15 billion is spent on energy used to power air conditioners.
4. A recent survey commissioned by Call2Recycle indicates that 57% of Americans have old electronics that they need to discard. The largest barrier to recycling e-waste identified in the survey was not knowing where or how to recycle a product.
5. It is reported that men use between 3 and 10 gallons of water every time they shave. If you ever needed an excuse to grow a beard and help one of the most water dependent industries save water, Budweiser’s “Grow one. Save a Million” campaign may be for you.