The members-only SPC Advance will convene sustainability and packaging leaders from across the U.S. for three days of actionable sustainable packaging conversations
July 16, 2018 — SPC Advance 2018 is heading to Boston, Massachusetts, September 26-28, 2018 for three days of workshops, masterclasses, panels, and networking all focused on moving sustainability forward in business.
“We are looking forward to hosting the SPC membership in Boston this September,” said Barbara Fowler, Senior Manager, SPC. “We have prepared a large array of networking and learning opportunities: from tours and business social activities to a variety of sessions that will cover the different issues, materials and challenges affecting the packaging industry right now.
The annual SPC Advance conference is recognized as a must-attend event for any professionals with a vested interest in sustainable packaging. It is the premier forum for stakeholders to collaborate in a pre-competitive space to find solutions to the industry’s most pressing challenges. The conference attracts sustainability leaders from across the packaging value chain, including retailers, brands, suppliers, converters, manufacturers, government agencies, and educational institutions.
This year’s conference will focus on themes of ocean pollution, disruptive change, boosting recyclability, building end markets, and compostability testing.
“Ocean plastic pollution awareness is continuing to increase, and I am pleased we will be hosting presentations on the problem and practical solutions that our members can take to address it,” said Nina Goodrich, Director of the SPC and Executive Director of GreenBlue Org. “SPC members continue to lead with voluntary packaging goals and progress in this area.”
Highlights for this year’s conference include:
- A reception at the New England Aquarium as well as a tour of the Tara Expedition Schooner, co-hosted by Billerudkorsnas. Attendees will get to explore the research vessel and learn more about its findings about marine debris and explore ways that packaging companies can address this issue. Learn more.
- A multitude of local tours including: the EREMA Tech Center, Waste Management’s MRF Billerica, Behind-the-Scenes Tour with Keurig Dr Pepper, Gingko Bioworks, Seaman Paper, Boston Freedom Trail, Converse headquarters, Harpoon Brewery, as well as a group outing to the Boston Red Sox – Baltimore Orioles game.
- ‘Ignite Talks’ from brands including Jet.com, Amy’s Kitchen, Kroger and Reckitt Benckiser.
- Two part “All At Sea” session examining the challenges and potential solutions to address the marine debris crisis
- Keynote sessions include “Fabricating the Future with Living Technology” with speaker Natsai Audrey Chieza, with Faber Futures; “Climate Ready Boston” with Austin Blackmon, with the city of Boston; and “Staying Ahead of Big Disruptive Change: How Food, Beauty, and Personal Care are Evolving” with Chris Gregg of Impossible Foods, and Nina Goodrich of the SPC.
Featured speakers include:
- Rob Kaplan, Co-Founder and Managing Director, Closed Loop Partners
- Lisa Zwack, Head of Sustainability, Kroger
- Rebecca Zimmer, Global Director of Environment, Starbucks Coffee Company
- Chris Gregg, Chief Supply Chain Officer, Impossible Foods
- Dave Rapaport, Global Social Mission Officer, Ben & Jerry’s
SPC Advance is supported by sponsors BillerudKorsnas, Keurig Green Mountain, Dow, Kotkamills Oy, Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Recycled Paperboard Alliance, Smartsolve, UPM Raflatac, WestRock, Avery Dennison, Eastman, and Cupanion. Sponsorship opportunities are still available. For more information, please contact Barbara Fowler at email@example.com. For constantly updated information about the event’s agenda, please visit the conference website: www.spcadvance.com
About the Sustainable Packaging Coalition
The Sustainable Packaging Coalition ® is a membership-based collaborative led by an independent nonprofit that believes in the power of industry to make packaging more sustainable. Using an objective lifecycle-based approach, we work in a constructive atmosphere to provide thought leadership and bring our members together to strengthen and advance the business case for more sustainable packaging.